HOME / COURSES / AST LV. 1
Whistler Avalanche Courses
Avalanche Skills Training Level 1
Please Read! – Before you book, please take a few seconds to sign our “Release of Liability” Waiver Form here: Sign Electronic Wavier
This course is based in Whistler and it’s field days are in the backcountry next to Whistler Blackcomb ski resort. Backcountry lift ticket can be prearrange with our office. Anyone coming from Vancouver Must have accommodation OR plan for long drives with unexpecting road delays. Custom courses in the sea to sky are welcome and can be pre-arranged. Contact our office for details.
Avalanche awareness is a necessity for anyone skiing, snowboarding and traveling in the mountains during the winter. The Avalanche Skills Training program is for those just branching out from downhill skiing and wishing to acquire appropriate entry level safety skills, eager to learn proper instruction in uphill skinning techniques, or assessing mountain hazards and of course, riding fresh tracks.
Learning Outcome: AST Lv.1 certificate and strong understanding of winter hazards with increased confidence when decision making in avalanche terrain.
- Video recording of our AOC level 1,2,3
- Understanding the basics of avalanche formation and release
- Identifying avalanche terrain
- Planning and carrying out a trip
- Using the Avaluator™ as a decision-making tool
- Avalanche Terrain Exposure Scale (ATES)
- Avalanche Danger Ratings and Avalanche Bulletins
- Evaluating snowpack stability
- Mountain weather forecasting
- Risk management plan
- Using appropriate travel techniques in avalanche terrain
- Carrying out a companion rescue
Location: Whistler Blackcomb Backcountry
Duration: 2.5 days
Distance: 8-11 km / day
Terrain: Simple to Challenging
Difficulty: Moderate to challenging
Elevation Gain: 650m+ / day
Prerequisites: Strong intermediate skier/boarder comfortable on single black runs and variable snow conditions. Good fitness level. No previous Backcountry experience required.
Itinerary for Whistler Avalanche Courses
We offer Mid Week and Weekend courses, see book now to view calendar
Students will be ask to watch a recording of our AOC level 1 (90min.) before the start of the course
Day 1: 7pm – 8:30pm (online zoom lecture 90min.)
Day 2: 8:15am – 5pm (field & theory)
Day 3: 8:15am – 5pm (field & debrief)
Includes: Avaluator, online resources, and completion certificate.
* You need to provide your own lunch, lift tickets and transportation to trail head.
- Backcountry skis / Splitboard
- Climbing skins
- Ski poles
- Transceiver, Probe, Shovel
- 30L daypack
- Lunch and water
- Compass (optional)
- Small first aid kit
- Extra warm clothes (down puffy jacket)
Avalanche Safety Gear rental gear available